Welcome Rob & Jonathan:
We’re joined on the Starline by two guests. One a financial expert, the other a former unanimous All American for the school in Austin. They co-wrote a book called “The Winning Playbook: Strategies for Life On and Off the Field”. We welcome Rob Welsh and Jonathan Scott.
Friends, let’s go Beyond the Mic. Rob, the balance of wealth has started to shift in college football. NIL money is being thrown around like Halloween candy to the neighborhood kids. Why was this book important for athletes to read now? (Laugh)
Jonathan, what would you have done or wanted to have if you had NIL money when you were playing for Texas?
Money man and football coach, how did you get together for this project?
Jonathan, what mistakes did you make early in your career financially? We’re all not perfect. Did you ever go wait a minute, what am I doing?
The Rockin’ 8:
It’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions; answer with the first thing that comes to your mind. There is no Pressure. Since we have two guests we’ll alternate questions.
1. Rob, if you could buy season tickets to one team for life but could watch any other sport again, what team are you buying tickets for?
2. Jonathan, which moment in your career still stands out to this day? 2005 winning National Championship!!!
3. Rob, how incongruous is being a former Marine and a minister?
4. Jonathan, you never had the big awesome contract, and you lived within your means. But where was the first dinner you went out for after you got your first paycheck? What did you go and what did you spend? There was that first meal when you went…it’s time to eat!
5. Rob, what excites you about the future?
6. Jonathan, best moment from Carter High School?
7. Rob, best thing about your wife?
8. Jonathan, should Texas and Texas A&M be put into the same pod in the SEC or kept apart?
The Back Half with:
Financial freedom is important for both of you but also mentoring kids. Jonathan, for you the Cardinals of John Paul the 2nd HS as an assistant football coach, Rob as Advisory Board Member for the Payne Stewart Kids Golf Foundation. Why is their future important to both of you?
I have worked most days of my life since I was 12. But now we have a generation instead of go work, it’s go fund me. How hard is it the entitlement generation for the future?
Rob, you co-wrote this book with Jonathan for athletes but it could also be used for by entrepreneurs. Even though the Tech bubble is long past, what mistakes have you seen others make? How should people make it for the future?
There are still so many destressed properties around the inner cities…
How has this book changed both of your lives?
One Big Question:
There are challenges that athletes face every day, coaches, agents, friends, the pressures of family and their own expectations. In the book you tackle those financial issues but in the last chapter you deal with the life lessons from several sports stars. What’s the next lesson you believe needs to be taught?
Where can people find you and your book?
They want you to Level up your strategies for life on and off the field. Authors of The Winning Playbook, Rob Welch and Jonathan R. Scott thanks for taking the time to talk with us today.
And that my friends is Beyond the Mic.
Check out the Winning Playbook website here.
Listen to other Beyond the Mic conversations with authors here.
Listen to other Beyond the Mic conversations with athletes here.