Dive into Singer-Songwriter Robin Taylor Zander’s musical journey on Beyond the Mic. From Beatles to family influences, get a glimpse of the artist behind ‘The Distance’ album.
We’re joined on the Starline by singer, songwriter and musician. Since 2016 he’s been playing every instrument for his dad in Cheap Trick. His solo album “The Distance” is out. We welcome Robin Taylor Zander.
Robin, let’s go Beyond the Mic. “The Distance” has the flavor of early Beatles and the Stones. How long did it take you to create this album?
“The Distance” is an album of your own true heart.
Why is “The Distance” different and better than anything out on commercial radio right now?
Which punk artists influenced you?
How did the pandemic change the way you see music and maybe kick “The Distance” closer to reality?
The Rockin’ 8:
It’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions; answer with the first thing that comes to your mind. There is no Pressure.
1. What was the first guitar and do you still have it? Alvarez acoustic old classical style when he was 5.
2. Triple Choice Time : Best Beach Boys, Beatles and Bee Gees Song?
3. Which track on the album will surprise people the most?
4. Another Triple Choice : Best thing about your time in Boston, Florida and Nashville?
5. Which concert did you last see, not play in, but see for enjoyment?
6. Best gift your dad gave you when you were growing up, other than a hard time?
7. What’s the one thing you did to torture your sister?
8. Best thing about your dog Ziggy?
The Back Half:
How has your opinion on the music industry changed and evolved as you watched your dad growing up?
How has the music industry helped you?
Why was this the right time to move out on your own?
So how has your own emotions been channeled into this album and what do you want people to get out of it?
Why does music touch your soul?
Robin, you raided your dad’s albums…?
Who inspires you musically now?
Everyone has had their heart broken growing up. How has your own broken heart changed the way you see love?
Famous mom, dad, sister who love it…why is the love of music so powerful in your family?
There’s always one good story from the road…
Best moment with your dad but NOT from the road?
Who’s the better golfer?
What’s your favorite Disneyworld ride?
One Big Question:
If you could achieve all your current dreams, what would you dream for next?
The protective big brother, still has his first guitar, learned to play by listening to cassettes. Robin wants you to hear his album “The Distance”. Robin Taylor Zander thanks for taking the time to talk with us today.
And that my friends is Beyond the Mic.
Check out Robin Taylor Zander here.
Listen to other Beyond the Mic conversations with musicians here.