Welcome Daniel Shumski:
We’re joined on the Starline by an author, journalist and obsessive food connoisseur. His 4th book “How to Sous Vide” is available at a bookstore near you. We welcome Daniel Shumski.
Daniel, let’s go Beyond the Mic you’ve written for Serious Eats, Food 52, Parade Magazine and many more. Why was tackling the topic of sous vide so important to you?
I have sous vide many things, but I want your expertise. What shouldn’t you sous vide?
So, you’ve worked at an heirloom apple orchard. What did you learn from that opportunity?
So when working out the recipe how much trial and error did you have?
From blog writer to published author. How many pounds did you and your partner gain after test eating your recipes?
How did the pandemic change the way you write and how you tackled this book?
The Rockin’ 8:
It’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions; answer with the first thing that comes to your mind. There is no Pressure.
1. You found out you were going to sell your 1st book when in Las Vegas, what’s your favorite game to play in Vegas?
2. Least favorite class you taught at Northwestern?
3. You speak English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. What would be the next language you want to learn?
4. Did you actually attempt to put a water buffalo joke in your cookbook?
5. Favorite Food Network star?
6. There’s a name from the past. Last dream you had?
7. Recipe that you haven’t mastered yet?
8. Best advice you ever got?
One Big Question:
What’s the next cooking thing you want to tackle?
How has your adventure from starting writing a blog to 4 books later how did it change you?
Is social media good or bad?
How do you tackle the good and the bad reviews, especially when people may have not even read the book?
His last dream was about Styrofoam, been saved by his editor from putting water buffalo jokes in his books and won’t learn another language. We thank “How to Sous Vide” author Daniel Shumski for taking the time to talk with us today.
And that my friends is a Beyond the Mic short cut.
Listen to other BTM conversations with authors here.