We’re joined on the Starline by ESPN Senior writer, multiple award winning author of several books. His latest is “Rickey” looking at the baseball legend Rickey Henderson. We welcome Howard Bryant.
Howard, let’s go Beyond the Mic. You studied journalism at Temple. What was your first job after graduation?
You’ve written over nine books, covering baseball and sports. Was there something deeper than the rich heritage of Oakland sports from your 1st job or was Rickey’s story just needed to be told?
The Rockin’ 8:
It’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions; answer with the first thing that comes to your mind. There is no Pressure.
1. First baseball game you ever attended?
2. If you could have anyone as baseball commissioner, who would be the best choice?
3. What’s the one stat of Rickey’s that amazes you to this very day?
4. Best baseball park in your opinion to watch a game?
5. Are you superstitious about reporting a no no in progress?
6. Favorite book in your library behind you?
7. Who is the one player that you would have liked to see play in person?
8. Best baseball card you own?
One Big Question:
Should there be a steroid wing of the Baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown?
With every book you write, you give a piece of you to the project. Who is the one person that you believe has your next story?
His favorite baseball park is Dodgers, thinks Gary Sheffield should be commissioner. His incredible book is “Rickey”. We thank Howard Bryant for taking the time to talk with us today.
And that my friends is a Beyond the Mic Short Cut.
Check out the Howard Bryant website here.
Howard spoke on the MLB network:
Listen to other Beyond the Mic conversations with authors here.