We’re joined on the Starline by a recovering attorney. He took those years of experience in front of a judge and turned it into a series of books starring the down on his luck Burr Lafayette including the new one “Bear Bones: Murder at Sleeping Bear Dunes”. We welcome Charles Cutter.
Let’s go Beyond the Mic 43 years of practicing law after getting your Juris Doctor from Michigan, your B.A. from Michigan State majoring in English & Finance and a graduate of Waverly High School.
How did those years of experience help you create Burr Lafayette?
When you were a lawyer, your specialization was…
You believe in the old school power of the yellow legal pad. How has writing and editing on the yellow pad freed you?
We’re talking with Author Charles Cutter “Beyond the Mic”. Burr has transformed from the series The Fool’s Errand to The Pink Pony, the Grey Drake and now “Bear Bones: Murder at Sleeping Bear Dunes? What subtle changes has Burr undergone over these books?
You use Northern Michigan as an additional character with every location as detailed from a man whose lived there all his life. Why was using the area important to you?
Burr is an unusual character as he prefers sailboats and dogs rather than courtrooms and clients.
Which litigators/judges helped you develop Burr legal opponents?
Who is more curious, you or your character Burr?
My sister is a recovering attorney, why do you think lawyers get a bad rap?
How have you spent your quarantine period?
The Rockin’ 8
Time is running out, so it’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions, answer with the first thing that comes to your mind.
There is no Pressure.
1. Largest fish you’ve caught fly fishing?
2. You graduated from both places, but if Michigan & Michigan State are playing, who do you root for?
3. Would you ever consider litigating a case you lost in real life as a Burr Lafayette mystery?
4. Favorite breed of dog?
5. Favorite place to write?
6. Your character Burr Lafayette says, “I spent all my money on boats, booze and women. The rest I wasted.” What have you spent most of your money on?
7. Last gift you gave your wife was…
8. Growing up you wanted to be a lawyer, but if you couldn’t be a lawyer, you would have been…
When Michigan & Michigan State play, he roots for the Spartans, largest fish he caught fly fishing was a steelhead trout and his latest book “Bear Bones: Murder at Sleeping Bear Dunes” is out now, we thank author Charles Cutter for talking with us today.
And that my friends is Beyond the Mic.
Visit Charles Cutter online here