Dive deep into ‘The Dirty Dozen’ with author Dwayne Epstein on Beyond the Mic. Uncover untold stories and movie magic.
We’re joined on the Starline by freelance journalist and author of Lee Marvin: Point Blank and many “People in the News” biographies. His book is on the making of the most iconic World War 2 movie ever. We welcome author of “Killin’ Generals” Dwayne Epstein.
Dwayne, let’s go Beyond the Mic. John Wayne rejected playing the film “The Dirty Dozen” based on the original draft. What made the story of this movie, 56 years old this year, so important to tell?
Lee Marvin’s oscar win in 1965 launched him into the legendary role for $300,000. How ironic was it that Marvin, a Purple Heart Marine demoted for troublemaking was given a movie promotion to Major in the film.
What was the most interesting fact you learned in researching this book?
The Rockin’ 8:
It’s time for the Rockin’ 8, 8 random questions; answer with the first thing that comes to your mind. There is no Pressure.
1. Other than Lee Marvin, which of the Dirty Dozen actors would you have like to written a book about?
2. How do you like your Bacon cooked?
3. Favorite movie other than The Dirty Dozen?
4. Best false story about Lee Marvin?
5. Favorite late night host of all time?
6. Are you more like your mom or dad?
7. Do you still have the oil paintings created by Lee Marvin?
8. Best Sinatra movie of all time is?
Sneaking in One More:
So many historical and military discrepancies in the movie just to make it look good, favorite scene in the movie ?
One Big Question:
How has war movies changed for the better and the worse since the Dirty Dozen?
He love Pappion, David Letteman, fairly crispy bacon and is more like his mom. Author of “Killin’ Generals” Dwayne Epstein thanks for taking the time to talk with us today.
And that my friends is a Beyond the Mic Short Cut.
Listen to other Beyond the Mic conversations with authors here.
Buy the book here.